Summer 2014 has come and gone.
Yesterday I was out in the yard for almost five hours for my annual “put the yard to bed” marathon. While I was tarping patio furniture, cutting down the irises and mulching in the flower beds, I got to reminiscing on the events of the summer. I’ve gotten used to the idea that there’s no such thing as an uneventful season, no matter how much I might wish for such; the only thing that’s constant is change.
So here are the top ten highlights of my eventful summer:
1) Welcomed Royal Mae Providence Schwartz to the world. She weighed in at 8lbs 15 oz and is still rock solid at 4 months. This makes me a proud Nana 6 times over now.
2) Celebrated my *gulp* 50th birthday with a fabulous back yard party. There was a band, and dancing, great food and many wonderful friends. It was wonderful.
3) Made sure I worked out of “office #3” (the deck) as much as possible, even though the birds and butterflies are super distracting. We also extended the deck width by 2 feet and built a privacy screen which was a big project but made a huge difference to our outdoor living space. Highly enjoyable.
4) Learned some valuable business lessons.
5) Floated down the Red Deer River twice (really wanted to do it more but there just aren’t enough weekends!) and talked my sister and BIL into taking up golf.
6) Celebrated two weddings with dear friends.
7) Got in a couple of great weekend camping trips.
8) Was happy to attend the annual Latin-Canadian party at my sister’s place, but sadly their dog passed away during the party. R.I.P. Toby Sanchez.
9) Called in the big guns – my pal Mike Hanson of Protec Pest Red Deer – to eradicate the massive infestation of ants that was destroying our lawn and invading our house. We have a long way to go in the lawn recovery department, but it is such a relief to have them gone. These nasty creatures took up wayyyy too much of my time and energy this summer.
10) Formed a partnership with Resource Management Innovations. This is more fantastic than you probably realize.
So there you have it – the summer of 2014. Autumn’s been lovely thus far, and of course a bunch more interesting changes have already taken place. As I start to ponder winter and the prospect of 2015, I wonder what it has in store. I hope I’m ready for whatever it brings.
Here’s hoping you had a lovely summer as well and that you are enjoying the glory of Autumn. Cheers, my friends.